Westbury Animal Hospital
713.723.3666 · 4917 S. Willow Dr. Houston, Texas 77035 

Annie's Shenanigans

Melts in your mouth not in theirs

Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Happy Valentine's day to all the pet lovers out there! I love valentines day especially the extra treats my owners bring home for me and sometimes I may even get a new stuffed toy to rip to pieces! Ah, love is in the air. 

Not all joyous treats are safe for us animals though so lets keep in mind some special safety tips for this February Holiday!

1. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats! Keep your boxes of truffles well out of reach, or better yet, eat them all quickly so they are never in the house!

2. Flower Arrangements. Beautiful. Also potentially poisonous or a concern for allergens. Make sure especially if you have cats to not include lilies in your bouquets. 

3. Sweets: Many candied sweets and gums contain xylitol which can cause a severe drop in blood sugar in pets if they chew on these items. 

4. Candles: Feel free to set the mood, just keep the pets out of the way. We don't want them getting burned or inadvertently knocking candles over and setting fires.

Be sure to spread your love to your pets this next week. They give you love every day of the year!

Lily Toxicity in Cats

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

There are a lot of household items that owners forget can be a source of toxicity to our pets. Thigpen (named after the "Peanuts" character), has allowed us to use him as a case example this month for lily toxicity. 

There are many different types of lilies, and while beautiful to have in flower arrangements, many of them have different toxic effects on cats. See the different concerns below:

Lily of the Valley: Cardiac Arrhythmias

Calla LilyThese plants contain calcium oxalate needles throughout the plant. The irritation from these crystals result swelling of the gums and foaming the mouth. Luckily this is the least toxic of the lily family, but can still cause some pain.

Day Lily, Easter Lily, Tiger Lily: These lilies can cause acute renal failure and death. All parts of the plant are toxic, even the pollen. 

This is Thig, a very affectionate and loving cat who decided a day lily was his food item of choice. Thig was very fortunate that his owner discovered the eaten plants quickly and sought treatment for him right away. Thig stayed in the hospital for 2 days for a decontamination period to prevent any toxic effects and went home no worse for the wear. 


If your cat is suspected of ingesting lilies, it is recommended to seek veterinary care immediately for further recommendations. 


0

You are logged in as: